will explain the ins and outs of flossing, from why flossing is important, to how to remind yourself to floss daily.
Why is flossing important?
starts very small. Colonies of plaque and bacteria congregate around your teeth and gum lines where brushing often misses. As the colonies grow, your gum tissue becomes infected and develops gingivitis, the earliest form of gum disease. Flossing disrupts these colonies of plaque and disperses food particles and bacteria between your teeth.
How do I floss properly?
Flossing should take you no longer than a couple of minutes. You may prefer waxed or mint-flavored floss; just make sure the floss is American Dental Association approved. Here are some flossing instructions:
- Start by unwinding about a forearms length of floss or longer.
- Wind the floss around each of your middle fingers on both ends.
- Use your forefingers and your thumbs to guide the floss between each tooth.
- Make a “C” Shape with the floss in every possible direction behind and in between your teeth.
- Unwind a clean section of floss each time you move to another tooth.
- Avoid snapping the floss against your gum tissue.
- Throw away the floss when you have finished.
- Remind yourself to floss daily by leaving the container on the sink in plain sight, setting a phone reminder, or sticking a post-it to your mirror.
Dental Care in Moreno Valley
We are full of with one of our Moreno Valley dentists by calling (951) 697-6800.