Have you ever broken a tooth or experienced sudden discomfort. If so, then you may require dental emergency treatment. What is a dental emergency? This involves any damage or pain involving your teeth or gums. If the problem could potentially be life threatening, then please contact 911 or have someone take you to the emergency room. Otherwise, there are ways you can address the immediate discomfort before you see a dental professional.

Common Dental Emergencies

Toothache: Do you have a sudden toothache? Then rinse with warm water and gently floss on either side of the tooth in question. If this fails to address the problem, then you need to schedule an appointment with a dental professional.

Something Stuck Between Teeth: As we discussed above, rinse with warm water and floss around the aching tooth. If this fails to remove the object, then come see us. Never use anything other than floss to remove something caught between your teeth. You may end up damaging your gums.

Chipped or Cracked Tooth: If you chip a tooth, try to recover any pieces you can find. Then rinse with warm water and apply gauze if the area is bleeding. You can also use a cold compress to reduce facial swelling. A chipped tooth is less noticeable, as the fractures can be extremely thin. However, if after an injury you notice an ache or sensitivity in a tooth, contact our office right away.

Knocked-Out Tooth: What happens when you knock out a tooth? First, pick the tooth up by the crown, never touch the root. Gently rinse the tooth under running water to remove dirt or foreign debris. Don’t remove any tissue adhering to the tooth. You can either place the tooth back into the socket or put it in a glass of milk. Bring the tooth to the office as soon as possible.


With offices throughout Riverside Country, including Corona, Temecula, and Moreno Valley, Riverside Dental Group is happy to provide advanced general, cosmetic, and restorative dentistry services to patients of all ages. To learn more, or to schedule a consultation, call our office today at (951) 689-5031.