Pregnancy can be a magical time for mothers and their children. Physically, the human body undergoes tremendous changes while pregnant. Most parents strive to give their children the very best. Recent studies on pregnancy, obesity, and sleep apnea could equip parents with new information about the associated risks. New research also provides information on how to diminish the chance of a C-section delivery and how to reduce the rate of infants being admitted to neonatal intensive care. The dentists of The Oasis Family Dental discuss the recent findings on how sleep apnea in pregnancy may harm mother and baby.

Sleep Apnea Study

Sleep apnea among obese patients is quite prevalent. Currently, sleep apnea affects less than 10% of the general population, but as much as 40% of people classified as obese. The study was conducted using 175 pregnant women classified as obese and recently published in the journal Obstetrics and Gynecology.

Of the 175 obese women studied, roughly 15% of them were diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea. Typically, patients with obstructive sleep apnea awake numerous times throughout the night because of airways being obstructed. This prevents them from receiving fully rejuvenating sleep which can lead to additional health issues.

Sleep Apnea Findings

The study conducted closely monitored the pregnancies of the 15% of women diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea. The women with OSA recorded higher blood pressure, and were heavier in weight than the other 85% of obese women without OSA. The study found that 65% of the women with sleep apnea required a C-section delivery. The number of C-section deliveries for obese women without sleep apnea was only 33%.

For infants, the number of admissions into neonatal intensive care units was dramatically lower as well. Of the women with sleep apnea, 46% of their children were admitted to a NICU. For the women without sleep apnea, only 18% were sent to a NICU.

The doctors and researchers conducting the study recommended women try to lose weight prior to becoming pregnant in order to avoid obesity-related sleep apnea during pregnancy.

Schedule Your Visit

Are you interested in learning more information about the role sleep apnea plays in pregnancy and overall health? The Oasis Family Dental provides comprehensive dental care for our patients of all ages. Contact our 92591 dental office by calling (951) 695-2290 to schedule an appointment today. We welcome patients from Temecula and all surrounding communities.

Study found at