will speak more about gum recession causes.
Causes of Gum Recession
Here’s a list of some of the most common causes of gum recession:
- Poor Dental Care – Neglecting to brush and floss your teeth can allow plaque buildup. When plaque hardens, it turns into tartar ( also known as calculus). This requires a professional cleaning for your dental hygienist, or you may end up with gum disease, and eventually recession.
- Over-Aggressive Dental Care – Brushing your teeth with too much muscle can cause your tooth enamel to get worn down. Once this happens, gum recession is likely to follow.
- DNA – Some people are born with a genetic predisposition for gum disease.
- Hormonal Fluctuations – Hormone levels can change dramatically throughout a woman’s life, making gums more sensitive and vulnerable to recession.
- Smoking – People who use tobacco products tend to have more plaque on teeth, and more irritated gums.
- Teeth grinding – Clenching and grinding can put repetitive force on teeth that can eventually cause gums to recede.
- Oral Jewelry – Tongue and lip piercings can be very bad for your teeth and gums. The constant friction can rub the gingival tissues, causing them to wear away and recede.
Dental Checkups from Temecula General Dentists
Prevention of gum recession is possible. Just as with other dental issues, your best bet is diligent oral hygiene (brushing teeth and flossing regularly) and visiting your Temecula general dentists every six months for exams and dental cleanings. We provide comprehensive dental care for our patients of all ages. To reach our 92591 dental office, don’t hesitate to call (951) 695-2290 and schedule an appointment today. We welcome patients from Temecula and all surrounding communities.