Cavities affect millions of people in the United States, including children and adults. A variety of factors can lead to decay, such as poor oral hygiene or trauma to the tooth. How do we repair a tooth with dental caries? We actually offer two forms of restoration, dental fillings and dental crowns. Which one will best repair your cavity?

Dental Fillings

Typically, a dental filling will be recommended to address a cavity, especially if the decay is in the early stages. In the past fillings were made from metal, or amalgam. Now, we use a metal-free composite resin, which can be shaded to match the surrounding tooth structure, ensuring your restoration looks natural. The procedure is completed in a single visit and works for patients of all ages.

Dental Crowns

A dental crown usually takes about two visits and like fillings can be recommended for adults and children. We may use a variety of materials, depending in the placement of the tooth being restored. Porcelain looks natural and works great for teeth near the front of the mouth. Zirconia and porcelain-fused-to-metal are stronger and can withstand more powerful bite forces, so we may place them near the back of the mouth.

Which Will Best Address My Cavity?

That depends on the severity of your tooth decay. For cavities caught in the early stages we may suggest a dental filling. However, if the decay is severe or the tooth becomes fractured or chipped a dental crown may work best. You should be aware of the common warning signs of a cavity and seek treatment should you encounter them. Tooth sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures, as well as a persistent toothache, may be a warning sign of dental caries. If you haven any questions or concerns then please contact our office today.


With offices throughout Riverside Country, including Corona, Temecula, and Moreno Valley, Riverside Dental Group is happy to provide advanced general, cosmetic, and restorative dentistry services to patients of all ages. To learn more, or to schedule a consultation, call our office today at (951) 689-5031.